Sunday, September 18, 2011

finger lickin'. fo' sho'.

For all you sweet & savory lovers out there who don't mind pesky little calories now and then, have I got a gem for you. Praline bacon. Sweet ... salty ... southern. It is so wrong that it's so right. My first taste of this delectable paradox was at Elizabeth's Restaurant in NOLA's bywater district. Had it not been for Andi, my friend who doesn't mind taking in a stray a.k.a. me, suggesting that we do brunch at Elizabeth's, I might never have stumbled upon this scrumptious little treat. So, with my tastebuds still smiling, I hastily googled the recipe so that I might bless others with this goodness.

Behold, praline bacon.


"a NOLA original - Elizabeth's Restaurant (1998)"


Ingredients
  • 1 pound thick cut bacon
  • 2 1/2 ounces light brown sugar, about 6 tablespoons
  • 1 1/2 ounces pecan halves

Directions

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Line a half sheet pan with aluminum foil. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a cooling rack, and set it in the prepared sheet pan. Bake until the bacon browns and the fat is rendered and bubbly. About 30 to 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar and pecans in a small food processor. Pulse about 15 times or until the pecans are finely chopped.

Remove the bacon from the oven, sprinkle with the brown sugar mixture, and pat down to adhere. Return to the oven and bake until the bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes.

Cool on the rack for 10 minutes before serving.


Eazy peazy! And as soon as I'm back in my kitchen, I will be making some of this tastiness and sharing all the deats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...